Welcome to the Kumbhalgarh camel dairy
Our camels are kept in their natural social contexts – in herds consisting of females, their offspring and one male camel – reflecting the situation in the wild! Contrary to the practice in conventional dairy systems, our Raika herders never separate mothers and their young, and make sure the baby gets an ample supply of milk! One of the most important things is that our camels get to move around all day – making them much healthier and happier than stall-fed animals.
Our camels feed on natural vegetation – 36 different plants according to traditional knowledge, thus adding value to, and conserving, the biodiversity of the local landscape.
The prime motivation for setting up Camel Charisma and the Kumbhalgarh Camel Dairy was to provide income opportunities for the traditional camel herding communities. We pay better prices for camel milk than anybody else and provide additional benefits such as camel health care and, through our parent NGO, LPPS, advocacy and legal support for grazing rights.
Camels are good for the environment: they produce food without any chemical inputs or fossil fuels; they disseminate seeds, they have low water requirements and produce less Green House Gases than cattle and small ruminants, thereby mitigating climate change.
Our camels are sustained exclusively on bio-diverse natural vegetation providing micro-nutrients absent from modern diets. Our camel dairy products are pure and traceable to individual camel herds.
About Ordering Camel Milk
- We ship pure pasteurized and frozen camel milk in 200 ml bottles, packed in ice, for pick-up at your destination.
- Phone or email us to discuss logistics.
- Our camel milk should be kept frozen in freezer compartment of your refrigerator until consumption. After defrosting, it will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- In a frozen state, the milk will keep for at least three months.
- If you have any special requests – bulk orders or packaging in larger bottles – please contact us so we can help you.
- Powdered milk coming soon.